As a collaborative community, we believe in documenting and sharing our insights with other news nerds. You can see some of our inspiration below.
Here are the documentation efforts we’ve undertaken so far:
- A Field Guide to Media Tech + Product
- Best Practices for News Sites
- List of Journalism/Tech Conferences
Related Documentation Efforts
- 18F Guides - The repository for best practices across 18F project teams.
- fusioneng/tech-docs - Fusion’s internal but public technology tools and process documentation.
- INN/docs - INN News Apps And Technology Team Docs.
- melodykramer/publicmedia - Everything Public Media, in One Place.
- nprapps/bestpractices - Best practices and coding conventions for the NPR Visuals team.
- propublica/guides - ProPublica’s News App and Data Style Guides
Resources for remote work
- The Remote Manifesto - GitLab
- Managing Across Time Zones - MartianCraft
- Communication for Distributed Teams - Lullabot
- Why Remote Work Thrives in Some Companies and Fails in Others - Harvard Business Review (metered paywall)
- Awesome Remote Job - A huge list of links
- The Villains of Remote Work - DNSimple
- The Definitive Guide to Remote Development Teams - X-Team
These are general guides for distributed development teams although the principles should still be relevant to news nerds.